Monday, February 25, 2008

Green Banana Smoothie with Stinging Nettle, Who Dares?

Today we picked our first stinging nettles again!
My youngest daughter Annejet (6 years old) and I went picking wild edible plants.
We both took our camera’s and had a great time.

Be careful picking the stinging nettles.
You can use rubber cloves or a plastic bag over your hands.
I picked them without and can still feel it. I don’t mind and teach my kids, it’s a nice feeling.
They don’t mind either.
Pick the young plants, a few inches tall, or the tops of the older plants.

When we came home, we made a delicious stinging nettle banana smoothie.
I still feel my fingers, but my throat is okay ;-))
Keep reading for our magic trick!

Ingredients:
1 ripe banana
2 “handful” stinging nettles
1 tablespoon shelled hempseed
1 tablespoon lemon
Wash the nettles.
Cover the nettles five seconds with boiling water, take them out, and put them in ice cold water.
Now they don’t sting anymore.
Put all the ingredients in the blender and make your wild greens smoothie.
The color is brownish-green. This is normal. The taste is great.

Stinging nettle contains a lot of iron, silica, calcium, magnesium and sulfur.
It clears the blood, helps to cure anemia and relieve fatigue.
It’s great to use in spring.

Enjoy your wild greens smoothie and feel the energy of spring!

No comments: